Deloitte, one of the world’s largest business consultants, offers the following guidance for businesses that want to begin a fraud-response plan:
- Create an allegation system:
- In what ways does the company systematically receive complaints?
- What process exists to assess the validity of complaints?
- How does the company train team members on what they should do if they suspect fraud?
- How does the company train team members on what they should not do if they suspect fraud?
- Allegation Triage:
- How does the company determine when to escalate a complaint to a formal investigation?
- How does the company document the criteria to determine which complaints get investigated?
- What protocols guide the investigator’s assignment?
- Case Investigation:
- What work plan exists to guide investigations?
- How do investigators handle evidence?
- What level of competency do investigators have?
- How does the company review case status?
- Who has access to case files?
- Communication and Reporting:
- How do investigators communicate with stakeholders?
- How does the company reveal investigations to team members?